Design of the tailing pond shall consider safety to the environment as priority, which shall comply with the standards on good management of the environment and worldwide acceptability
And the by-products derived from the processing shall consist of sodium chloride (NaCl) and magnesium chloride (MgCl2). Initially in mining during the 1st to 4th years of production it shall bring the by-products to store at the tailings pond temporarily, and as soon as there is a gap in the underground mine sufficient to backfill the the tailings in the gap promptly. It is to reduce impact on the environment permanently and help to stabilize to the underground tunnels, and at the end of mining there is no tailings left on the ground anymore.
Design of the tailing pond
The ore tailing well is located in the area that the application applies to leave the soil, sand and concentrated water waste situated on the south side of the concessionaire No. 1/2004. It has the distance from the processing plant about 7 km. It is an area with the level that is higher than the surrounding area several meters, so no risk from a flood.
In the design of the tailing pond, the project considers safety and prevention of leak as priority to comply with the standards on good management of the environment and worldwide acceptability.
- The project has prepared the area of about 5,600 rais, but just 2,500 rais, to be kept for tailings pond, which can support the tailings from mining throughout the concession life. As the Company prepares such large area is for tailings may not heap too high, and can avoid winds and not to cause an eyesore.
- Building soil ramparts around the pond and paved its bottom with HDPE with 1.5 mm thickness for two layers.
- Install a system to check the leak of the tailings in the pond by placing fish bone pipes at the bottom area between the pond linings spread around the pond bottom. If there is a leak of the salt water at any point the saltwater in the first layer is trapped by the bottom leak proof sheet and to pool in the perforated fish bone pipes. It shall carry the salt water out of the well via the pipe to store in the holding wells, which scatter around the well. After that it shall accelerate the repair on the tear on the leak proof sheet on the top immediately to make sure that the tailings in the pond do not leak to the outside for certainty.
- Plant perennial and fast-growing trees that can withstand high saltiness such as acacia, eucalyptus and neem trees, etc. as a wind break and create beautiful scenery.
- As soon as there is a sufficient gap in the underground mine it shall be backfilled with the tailings in the underground mine promptly to reduce impact on the environment permanently and help to create stability to the underground tunnels. However, at the end of mining there are no tailings left on the ground anymore.